[plug] Cross Compile i386 .deb package on amd64

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Aug 7 08:42:31 WST 2009

Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm sure I'm just missing the right google keywords, I'm fairly sure I've
> had it work before too.
>
> I need to compile a .deb package for an i386 machine (32bit machine) on an
> amd64 (64bit machine).  I tried 'debuild -ai386' which worked for the
> packaging bit... Just not the actually compiling bit.

That would be relatively hard, since you would need all the 32-bit build bits
and pieces floating around and, last I checked, you couldn't co-install them.

My solution was to create a chroot; traditionally, one of pbuilder or schroot
makes it easier to do this sort of cross-building in a robust fashion.

Otherwise, make sure that you are telling the build process to use the
appropriate cross-compiler and target architecture in debian/rules, make sure
you have the 32-bit libraries available to the target, make sure it doesn't
embed any non-standard library paths because of the crappy no-multi-arch
support, make sure it doesn't require plugins during build, and go for it.

        Daniel
           Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?