[plug] Wanted: home for 8-port 10/100 switch, no PSU

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Fri Aug 7 16:46:20 WST 2009

The trick with switchmodes is to over-specify them.  A switchmode
without a fan must be de-rated to 50% of its output... fan failures and
over-heating of the capacitors are the primary drivers of switchmode
failure in my experience.  PC supplies are often run close to ratings
and have poor (read very cheap) fans.

I've had few problems since I started using 450-550W PC supplies with
large 120mm fans.  The fans spin slower for the same air movement
reducing wear on bearings.

Linear power supplies have similar problems... the capacitor will dry
out faster if it runs warm.

The tiny high-frequency switchmode wall plug supplies are great in my
experience.  I have ancient Nokia charger supplies which seem to just
keep going forever.

Your mileage may vary...
P.