[plug] Question about upgrading from Debian 4.0 to 5.0

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Aug 25 11:25:21 WST 2009

Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> writes:

> I am thinking about upgrading my Debian installation, from 4.0 to Debian
> 5.0, on this system. On my laptop, I had done a clean installation of Debian
> 5.0.
>
> To do the upgrade, I am looking at doing it by just changing the URL's in
> the sources.list file, from etch to lenny, and then doing an apt-get update
> followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.

Don't do that.

> Has anyone else done it this way, and, has it caused (or, is it likely to
> cause) any problems?

Yes.  You might get lucky, but it *HAS* caused some problems for some people.

What you should do, instead, is read the Debian release notes.

They include detailed instructions on how to perform the upgrade that work
around any issues found to date, as well as ensuring that you are aware of
anything specific you should check on the way.

Regards,
        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.