[plug] N-Wireless pci network card

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 26 15:13:36 WST 2009

William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
> On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 13:55 +0800, Lucas van Staden wrote:
>> William Kenworthy wrote:
>> > My sony laptop has an intel chipset - supported in the kernel (no
>> > drivers needed, though I needed a firmware package from somewhere ... -
>> > works very well.
>>
>> That sounds promising, do you know what the chipset is, or what the card
>> mode/name is?

...you are unlikely to find one that isn't designed for embedded use, such as
mini-PCI, as far as I know.  Intel don't seem to sell discrete components
much, at least at the consumer level.

> iw2200bg - its an older chipset now, but the newer ones are also
> supported and I have not heard anything bad about them (yet :)  See
> http://intellinuxwireless.org/ for others

The IWL4965 has an issue with instability in the firmware causing it to hang
every now and then, but the Intel wireless chipsets are generally reasonable.

Regards,
        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.