[plug] Participate in research, learn about and use Linux security systems (last chance)

Z. Cliffe Schreuders c.schreuders at murdoch.edu.au
Sun Aug 30 13:29:50 WST 2009

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Z. Cliffe Schreuders wrote:
>> Reminders: Your involvement will be for one session. The session
>> takes about 3 hours. During the session you will learn about and use
>> three security systems and give feedback about them. You can't trust
>> the programs that you run with all of your privileges. A solution is
>> to restrict what programs are allowed to do. This study compares the
>> usability of three application confinement systems.
> Without intending to be, or appear, argumentative, I am wondering how
> the three Linux based systems compare with the BSD distributions
> (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc), for the same application.
The aim of the study is to compare the underlying principles (in
addition to the actual user interfaces) so the results should generalise
to an extent to implementations of these systems regardless of the
operating system. As these security systems are enforced at the
kernel-level they are currently not all available for BSD systems.

Cheers,

Cliffe.