[plug] Multiple routes

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Fri Dec 11 10:18:45 WST 2009

G'day all,

I have an odd configuration I need some advice on.

My home network is 192.168.2.0/24
I have a VPN using openvpn that is 10.8.0.0/24 that works almost everywhere. This pushes a route to
192.168.2.0/24 and when I'm out and around I can seamlessly access my home network.

A facility that I work at intermittently has a very tight firewall, and to penetrate it I've had to
use another instance of openvpn using tcp and a specific port - network 10.8.3.0/24. I don't want to
use this all the time as it's less efficient than my normal stock udp vpn instance.

I have both tunnels up simultaneously and they both push the 192.168.2.0/24 route.

So, when I'm at home I have all the routes up, but as the network is the default it's all good.

When I'm out I have to restart openvpn to get a working route to my home network (or hand modify the
routing table. Not hard, but then I should not have to think about it).

When I restart openvpn outside the restrictive firewall, the udp instance always establishes first,
so I get the best route straight out of the bag.

When I move into the restrictive firewall, that openvpn instance is still live and tries to route
over that. When I restart openvpn, the udp instance fails to connect, so I get the route over the
right tunnel.

What could I use that would try each route and just make it work?

My other option is to restart openvpn in my network-up script. At the moment all I do is send it a
-HUP to force a quick reconnect, but this does not touch the interfaces or routing table.

Regards,
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them