[plug] cprescue?

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 11:28:01 WST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Bill Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Physically move the disk to another machine.

I've got it attached via a usb now.

> or
>
> Boot from a live cd/usb key with networking and use dd over ssh to
> another machine?
>
> If ddrescue is really needed, do the above but mount a remote disk into
> the file tree and treat it as local. (ddrescue soesnt seem to do
> networks from its gnu web page), but you might be able to get fancy with
> netcat etc.

Mounting the filesystem isn't the issue. Copying the data from it is
problematic as I have a tonne of bad sectors.

[103515.217173] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
[103515.217179] Info fld=0x0
[103515.217181] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Add. Sense: No additional sense information

ddrescue was good for this as it moved reasonably quickly to the next
block, cp in the other hand hangs forever (figuratively speaking of
course)

The drive is also 1TB, full of music, video and some large audio
chunks. I just dont have that sort of room on any network drive. Of
the data on there I only need a 1Gb or 2

Carl G