[plug] Hardware question

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:37:11 WST 2009

Overview:
Am looking at knocking up a NAS/DVD Ripping box so I can pack away my DVD's
and just use DLNA to stream to my Samsung Series 6 LCD.

Problem:
I have two old desktop PC's that I can choose from to use for this purpose
and am trying to figure out which would be best, but I've forgotten
everything I used to think I knew about hardware specs etc..

Specifics:
I have an Athlon 64 bit (I'm _pretty sure its a Venice)
 Athlon 64 3200+ 2000 MHz 512 KB 1000 MHz 10x 1.35/1.40 V 67 W Socket
939April 4, 2005ADA3200DAA4BP (E3)
And a Pentium 4 Processor based system that I _think_ is the Northwood
revision (unsure if its 64bit?!?)
its clocked at 2.60 ghz

Question:
Other system details aside, which of these processors is better for the raw
encoding power?
I presume that 64bit is going to be much better for this process... also
will Hyper threading help much?