[plug] Cable Management Software

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:48:16 WST 2009

To be honest, not knowing how elegant these systems become, I don't
know how complex the system could be.
>From my basic understanding, any cable can only have 2 termination
points, at each end. And each termination point is a device that can
connect up to say 100 other termination points.
So what is the basic information you want stored?
One table for cables
Cable ID, End Point A, End Point B, Building Number, Etc etc

One table for devices
Device ID, Number of End Points, Location (Physical), Location
(Network, e.g. Address)

Then it's simply a matter of writing the interface to add cables and
devices and then write a few lookups to extract the data required. I
guess if there is advanced network routing information you want
stored, that could become a little difficult for doing simple SQL
lookups to work out routing tables, but I can see it's rather easy to
find all cables in Building X, or to check if there is a network path
between 2 points.
If what I've described is all it really is, then it should be fairly
simple to knock something up quickly. Otherwise, what other
information is needed?

Tim

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia