[plug] Filesystems for slow networks

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 15 20:43:32 WST 2009

G'day.

I have a little project involving file synchronisation between users
of files on servers at opposite ends of Australia; using a link
that's got a maximum of 512 kbps. Files are served from Linux to the
'dozy desktops.

I've looked at a number of options including Intermezzo, Unison,
Lustre, ...

They tend to fall into one or more of the following categories:
1) too complicated for the users. (Unison is a steep learning curve)
2) no longer supported (Unison)
3) probably unsuited for slow (unreliable) links (Lustre)

What remain are (Open)AFS and Coda.

I don't have the luxury of uprooting servers and replacing kernels.
OpenAFS appears to be supported for all the SuSE servers concerned.
Coda seems to require kernel modules that will have to be compiled.

Are there other viable options that I may have overlooked?
$20,000 on new servers and proprietary systems or upgrading the
network to 10 Mbps wouldn't be considered viable.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Religion is regarded by the common people
 X   against HTML mail     | as true, by the wise as false, and by the
/ \  and postings          | rulers as useful.  -- Seneca the Younger