[plug] Filesystems for slow networks

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 15 22:13:08 WST 2009

Leon Brooks <leon-plug at cyberknights.com.au> wrote:
>On Sunday 15 February 2009 20:43:32 Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> I've looked at a number of options including
>> Intermezzo, Unison, Lustre, ...

>> They tend to fall into one or more of the following
>> categories:

>> 1) too complicated for the users.
>>    (Unison is a steep learning curve)
>> 2) no longer supported (Unison)
>> 3) probably unsuited for slow
>>    (unreliable) links (Lustre)

>> What remain are (Open)AFS and Coda.

>Is RSync feasible? Aussie origin 'n' all (Tridge). Easy
>enough to make a one-click icon to do an RSync sync from
>the 'Doze boxes. Your choice of whether each RSync login
>is read-only or not (plus of course usual chmod stuff).

Sadly not feasible as it requires interaction for synchronisation
(or file monitoring) and the synchronisation direction varies, as
well as the possibility of "collisions" with the likelihood of two
users (finite probability) wishing to make changes to the file
simultaneously.

The direction of synchronisation also varies unpredictably. It's
not like there's one master file that's copied and only read on
"slaves".

rsync is currently being used for other files where there's a master
copy at head office and the branches get a read-only copy on their
server. It works well for that.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Religion is regarded by the common people
 X   against HTML mail     | as true, by the wise as false, and by the
/ \  and postings          | rulers as useful.  -- Seneca the Younger