[plug] Filesystems for slow networks

Adon Metcalfe adon.metcalfe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 09:32:18 WST 2009

I use Glusterfs ;P

http://www.gluster.org/

basically it has a feature called AFR (Automatic File Replication) which
replicates a file to all servers in the afr group when it is
created/accessed if available (uses extended attributes to keep track of
this data), and because its done only when a file is accessed, if there is a
period of downtime, the network load isn't saturated when it comes back up,
it only syncs the files that people access that gluster figures out are out
of sync. I'm using 1.3.10 from intrepids repo, though 2.0 is meant to be
wayyyy better (can do all sorts of cool stuff see:
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Whats_New_v2.0, specifically atomic
write support).

And its incredibly simple to configure, 1 config file for server, 1 config
file for client, replication can be specified on either the client or
server, uses existing filesystem with extended attributes as data store, so
really easy to move data into :)

Good luck!
Adon

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Bernd Felsche <
berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:

> G'day.
>
> I have a little project involving file synchronisation between users
> of files on servers at opposite ends of Australia; using a link
> that's got a maximum of 512 kbps. Files are served from Linux to the
> 'dozy desktops.
>
> I've looked at a number of options including Intermezzo, Unison,
> Lustre, ...
>
> They tend to fall into one or more of the following categories:
> 1) too complicated for the users. (Unison is a steep learning curve)
> 2) no longer supported (Unison)
> 3) probably unsuited for slow (unreliable) links (Lustre)
>
> What remain are (Open)AFS and Coda.
>
> I don't have the luxury of uprooting servers and replacing kernels.
> OpenAFS appears to be supported for all the SuSE servers concerned.
> Coda seems to require kernel modules that will have to be compiled.
>
> Are there other viable options that I may have overlooked?
> $20,000 on new servers and proprietary systems or upgrading the
> network to 10 Mbps wouldn't be considered viable.
> --
> /"\ Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
> \ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Religion is regarded by the common people
>  X   against HTML mail     | as true, by the wise as false, and by the
> / \  and postings          | rulers as useful.  -- Seneca the Younger

Adon Metcalfe
mobile: 0429 080 931
Labyrinth Data Services
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au