[plug] PS3, MediaTomb occasional freeze in video stream

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Thu Feb 19 20:16:19 WST 2009

HI all.

I have a strange issue,

I use MediaTomb on an epia machine, running debian, as my media/file
server to my PS3.
When watching divx video, the stream pauses every now and then, and I
can't see any pattern, it seems random.

The obvious move was to ssh to the box, and monitor it using top, to see
  if there is a process that takes up cpu resources, thus causing the pause.

The only thing is, once I ssh in, and I run top, no pause (processor
never drops below 70%) . So it would seem that running top solves the
issue, but it is a silly resolution to solve the issue.

Any ideas? Possibly other ways to monitor system resources?

I did set the hard drive not to sleep/spin down, but that has not solved
the issue - still need top running.

Oh yeah - the two are directly connected via a cross-over cable, on a
gigabit connection, so I don't think it is a network issue (upgraded the
network on the epia previously, as I thought that the 100mb network may
have been the issue)

-Lucas