[plug] Mobile internet

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Thu Feb 26 21:21:37 WST 2009

On Thu 26/02/09  5:26 PM , Leon Brooks leon-plug at cyberknights.com.au sent:
> Has anyone made one of those 3G modems work with a
>
> Telstra connection?
>

> Dealing with a school promised ADSL for the last 18
>
> months (houses backing onto it are connected via DSLAM2+)
>
> but no joy.
>

> Telstra are now offering mobile internet to dig
>
> themselves out of a political hole. Their _dialup_ server
>
> (running BIND, Squid, DansGuardian, ClamAV etc) is Linux
>
> based, & for many reasons they would like to keep it that
>
> way.
>

> Cheers; Leon

Hi Leon,

I spent a year working for them but and supporting their NextG, ADSL and cable
wifi modems.

There is a page on getting it to work:

http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/

>From what I can see though things have changed a bit and you can now use a router.

e.g: 7.2 Home Network Gateway

Netcomm 3G9WB

http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13078

Netcomm also have various other 3g routers if you want to check them out:

http://www.netcomm.com.au/solutions/3g

I do have one of the older Maxon BP external blue modems with the rabbit ears if
you want to test it out.

best regards,

Chris Caston