[plug] Wireless dropouts

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Sat Jan 3 08:02:50 WST 2009

Hi Blake,

This is being written on a Dell laptop with the ipw2100 under Ubuntu
8.04 and all is working very well.  I also use an old IBM T30 Thinkpad
with an ipw2100 that I installed myself and that too works fine.  Both
have been flawless on any number of different wireless networks to which
I've connected in my wanderings.

In my experience the Billion routers are extremely reliable units and
given that the other MacBook/Netbook are connecting fine I'd think it's
fine.

I would tend to suspect wireless hardware first when diagnosing a
problem like this and in particular adapter hardware as I've found a
very wide range in their abilities and foibles.  Adapter driver software
is the next suspect... only rarely have I found an issue with a router.

The ipw2100 in the T40 will be under a small hatch in the bottom of the
laptop - I'd check that the connections to the two antennae are plugged
in firmly (they may have wriggled loose.)  Having one or other of the
two loose would account for your being able to get a reliable signal
when sitting close to the router.

I have no experience with CentOS, but perhaps try booting the T40 with
Ubuntu 8.04 on the live CD to see if you get a better wireless link due
to the driver being used (after checking the antennae.)

I've not encountered the Linksys 54G USB adapter so can't comment on it.

I *have* found that the best wireless adapters are those that use the
Atheros chipsets... they seem to lock and hold onto weaker signals
better than any other and get better speeds.

Let me know if any of this helps :-)

Regards,
Paul