[plug] OpenVPN with Ubuntu

Kai Jones kaij at kamsc.org.au
Thu Jan 8 16:12:19 WST 2009

We have the link working now, just have to figure out the routing.

In openssl.cnf we had to change nsCertType option to server or client,
depending where we were activating the openvpn, there's no indiciation
in the howto/faq/man page about changing this variable from server (when
configuring the server key and certificate) to client (when configuring
client keys and certificates).

Woulda thought there'd be a separate server and client file so you
didn't have to run the server key/certificate, then change that setting
to "client" in the nsCertyType option, save and run the cerificate and
key generation for the client files.

Is it just me or does that seem long winded? And, we couldn't find it in
any of the doco's so it took us a lot of digging to figure out where to
actually change those variables.

Also had to comment this line
keyUsage = nonRepudiation, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment

Also working on pushing routes, staff at remote location can ping
machines on our private subnet but we can only ping the virtual
interface on their host, can't get any further.

Cheers
Kai