[plug] iinet freezone

gavin chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:00:51 WST 2009

2009/1/9 Niffum <bulkniffum at iinet.net.au>:
[...]
> Now, maybe i was silly in thinking that traffic from one iinet user to
> another iinet user in the same state would be covered in the 'freezone' but
> that is not where it ended up.  That traffic was counted as peak quota NOT
> freezone. [...]

Don't know if this a similar case to that I suffered with my provider,
amcom when I first started with them. I deliberately aimed for large
iso downloads from a waix peer (iinet, in that case) since it was
supposedly 'quota-free' traffic. Blow me down if it didn't end up
using up all my non-peered quota with this operation. A call to amcom
could only reveal that there was no guarantee that traffic coming from
one waix peer to another was going to go direct. Further investigation
using wireshark and traceroute showed that packets were skipping from
iinet over the border to third parties before ending up with amcom;
hence, non-waix peers were involved in the mix instead of coming from
one Perth server to another. This ruined my free traffic. In the end
the only reliable waix peer was UWA for large downloads. Perhaps iinet
did the same to you between you and your friend? :-/

Gavin.