[plug] Authentication server

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Wed Jan 21 14:45:14 WST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 12:26 +0900, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 12:18 +0900, Marcos Raúl Carot Collins wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I would like to setup a linux machine where all other linux machines
> > in my network authenticate users. No Windows around to complicate
> > things.
> >
> > I just don't know where to start searching for a guide or software to do that.
> >
> > A few google searches with "debian setup central login" "debian user
> > authentication server" didn't show anything relevant to this.
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> Try searching for Debain + NIS or Debian + LDAP

NIS is simplest (you just continue to maintain your existing text files
and use "make" in the NIS directory to update the maps) and least
secure. The security issue is more for environments with untrusted users
or that have machines exposed to the internet. Note that when using NIS
clear text passwords will traverse the network your machines are on.

LDAP is generally a bit painful unless you can find a good
administration app.

Ian