[plug] SATA drives on another system

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Jan 30 08:58:35 WST 2009

"Jon L. Miller" <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> writes:

[... top-posting.  How painfully difficult to read ...]

> Andrew,
> I'm using Debian Sarge.

Then the process is the same: boot from a distribution rescue disk and
either use the repair process offered, or chroot into your environment
and rebuild the initrd image using the distribution tools.

Use the mkinitrd tool to do the later; read the documentation to make
sure you know what you need to do since it isn't very smart and requires
manual configuration to work.

Um, and you will probably find your life becomes a lot more pleasant if
you move to etch or etch-and-a-half, which feature the ability to
identify partitions by UUID or LABEL, as well as a much smarter
initramfs based boot system.

Regards,
        Daniel

Remaining content left unedited because, hey, that is traditional when
you write paper interoffice memos ^W^W^W top-posted content.