[plug] Changing NIC address permanently

J Michael Gilks mike.gilks at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 11 19:27:39 WST 2009

On Saturday 11 July 2009 09:32:29 Steve Baker wrote:

> IPCop has a program called 'setup' which you should use for changing
> interface addresses.  It's also used for changing the 'red' (internet)
> connection type (ethernet, ppp, etc) and a couple of other things.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

Doh, as Homer would say. I should have remembered that, but I do generally
find the most difficult method of doing things.
The system is actually working now, but I will run setup to make sure
everything is as it should be.
Another problem I started noticing was spurious network addresses appearing. I
traced this one to VMWare. When I installed it I also said yes to theair
networking options which set up 2 private networks, each with their own
address range and DHCP server. So I have removed the NAT and Hostonly networks
to leave me with only a single DHCP server. This works much better.
Seems a simple enough error to make but something to watch for everywhere.
Hope a warning about this will help someone.
Thank you for your time.

Love
Mike.