[plug] unwanted date harvesting by omniture for ebay

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:42:33 WST 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 17:43 +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> Gavin Chester <gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >hmm ..., this is Linux-related in the sense that I used linux tools to
> >check it out. It may be old news to some, but hopefully a 'heads-up' for
> >many.
>
> >SCENARIO:
> >I'm a frequent ebay user, as I'm sure many pluggers are. I was noticing
> >a lot of traffic on my modem to and from my machine for extended
> >periods, which wireshark revealed was from 102.112.2o7.net.

[...]

> I'm running behind a proxy firewall and let the proxy server filter
> nasty and undesirable stuff. It's done using squidGuard from squid.
>
> One can define the 2o7.net domain (and others) in one of several
> configurable blacklists.
>
> I've customised blacklists for banner ads (URLs can be pattern
> matched) and other annoying web junk. Unfortunately I can no longer
> read online definitions of "naked DSL", but that's a small price to
> pay.

Good tip that will be useful for others, but I'm deciding not to run
through a proxy on my laptop. My system was being hammered again this
morning by "2o7.net" despite early attempts at firewalling it out.
Instead I returned to the original suggestions on the web and used my
"hosts" file. Thankfully, I found a fellow sufferer who had covered
every known combo of "2o7.net" addresses and a lot more undesirable ones
besides. I edited this as my own hosts file and seems to have stopped
the unwanted traffic dead (as you'd expect). Find it here:
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Gavin.