[plug] DNS - returning correct ip address based on source

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jul 13 16:14:27 WST 2009

Patrick Coleman <blinken at gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Carl Gherardi<carl.gherardi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Working on a WAN and i'd like the local DNS servers to return a
>> different IP based on which IP range the clients have DHCP'd from.
>
> Aha, someone else does this! I went through exactly this problem earlier in
> the year. BIND views will do what you want, but if you have more than a
> couple of subnets it gets messy very quickly (lots of duplicated
> information).

I resolved the same issue by writing some very small software to generate the
view statements, and in some cases the zone database, from a source that
didn't feature the redundant information.

That was actually fairly trivial to do, in my experience, especially with the
'$INCLUDE' statement to allow common zone data to be defined only once.

Not that there is anything wrong with the other method; just another approach.

Regards,
        Daniel