[plug] hosting

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at rpsmetocean.com
Mon Jun 15 14:33:27 WST 2009

Hi everyone,

I posted here a while back about a web shop, and got quite helpful
and are paying someone to build the actual site, we're thinking about
hosting space. For the short term we'll use the people who are building
the site because that allows time for it to get settled and working
properly, and will be easy access for them to fix any problems.

After a few months, we'd like to at least consider other hosting, to
make sure we're getting a reasonable deal. So, my question - can you
give me an idea of hosting providers that are worth their salt, and how
much we should expect to pay to host a web shop. The business is
for-profit, but hardly any (and no income for the owners) - maybe in
time it will grow. I don't know where it should be hosted, but all of
the customers are in Western Australia, perhaps one day there will be
other Australian customers.

If we do change hosting, I imagine migration will be a cinch? Dump the
MySQL database, tar up the entire htdocs (or whatever) dir; move over to
the new environment; change DNS, and all's peachy... right? Some down
time I suppose, so that would have to be publicised.

Thanks,
Greg.