[plug] Keep-alive remote gnome session

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Jun 19 11:39:11 WST 2009

Hi,

Music is stored on wife's machine, shared using a nfs share.
Her machine is configured to 'sleep' after and hour's inactivity (done
using the gnome settings for screensaver/power management.)

The obvious issue is that when I am listening to music (using Amarok),
the share would go away.

I manually send a wakeonlan packet to the machine to wake it back up,
but that has become tedious, so I created a small script for amarok
which runs on each song change.

the hope was that I could just ping to the remote machine on each song
change to keep it awake. It does not work. Ping was done with -c 3 to
limit pings sent.

The settings in question must only be looking at the gnome (xorg)
session activity, so the ping is not registering.

Any ideas how I can keep it alive via the script.
I can do a remote ssh connection with a command to run (will setup
private key to make that passwordless), but I have no idea what to do to
make the remote session stay active from the shell.

-Lucas