[plug] SATA boot problem

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Jun 19 12:08:33 WST 2009

WolfBite <wolfbite_aus at yahoo.com> writes:

> gentoo, sabayon, ubuntu user here,
>
> tinkering the kernel is fun :) (just ask those that cant leave their working
> car alone :)

Oh, I absolutely agree, having done kernel development before.  I have a lot
of sympathy for that.  I was more curious why Adrian asserted that *all*
Gentoo users ...

Well, I still don't quite know what he was asserting.  I don't imagine it was
"all Gentoo users are too silly to keep around a kitchen sink kernel", as you
nicely provide an example to the contrary.

I just can't guess what else is was supposed to be. :)

> but you ALWAYS have a copy of the kitchensink kernel to choose or fall back
> on (you dont have to have just 1 kernel, esp while tinkering) Thats why we
> have boot loaders :)

*nod*  Aside from the fact that a kernel with (almost) all the drivers build
as modules costs you almost nothing — a bit of CPU during the build, a touch
of extra load time for a bigger initramfs — the more you tie your kernel to
your current hardware the more you waste your time, and you make your life
harder when it comes to hardware changes.

Regards,
        Daniel