[plug] python-vboxmanage soft launch

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Jun 30 14:56:44 WST 2009

Adrian Woodley <Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org> writes:

G'day Adrian.

> An auspicious occasion for me this morning - I publicly released my first
> (modest) software package; python-vboxmanage.

Congratulations.

> Python-vboxmanage is a python class which wraps around VirtualBox's
> VBoxManage utility. This provides a simple API to manage and control
> VirtualBox guests from with a python program.
>
> As this is the first project which I have release publicly, I'm very keen to
> receive some feedback. No doubt there are a large number of improvements to
> be made.

Well, the obvious one from where I sit would be to integrate your work into
libvirt, at which point it could provide the same abstract API to managing
VirtualBox that it does to other virtualization solutions.

It looks like that has already been done, however:
http://libvirt.org/drvvbox.html

Perhaps you could improve the virt-manager tool to support management of
VirtualBox machines, since it still only has Xen and KVM/QEmu support
natively, providing a nice GUI wrapper around these capabilities?

Regards,
        Daniel