[plug] Video DVD question

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Mon Mar 16 17:58:20 WST 2009

I recorded a few TV programs with a SAMSUNG DVD-VR375. The media I used is
Verbatim DVD-R, as recommended by the manufacturer. The sessions are
finalised. The programs can be viewed on the recorder and all looks OK.

I tried to view the DVDs on a PC running SuSE Linux V10.3. The drives are
either a LG DVDRRW GSA-4166B or an ASUS DRW-1814BL.

 I can not mount the DVD on either drive. Either drive is capable of reading
DVD-R fromat.

On a SuSE V10.3 system a mount results in:
Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)

On a SuSE V10.2 system a mount results in:
Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 8
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

I could lift off the image with dd, but th can't be mounted either

mount -o loop -t iso9660 /media/disk/of1.iso /mnt

Mar 16 17:48:20 basilisk kernel: UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
Mar 16 17:51:36 basilisk kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
Mar 16 17:51:36 basilisk kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

What do I try next?

Peter