[plug] Smallest MTA (Sendmail/SMTP) for Ubuntu

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Sun May 3 11:49:46 WST 2009

I've opted for Postfix, which I've used many times before, and had
forgotten that it is a relatively small install. I've rather enjoyed
my lessons in preseeding ubuntu installs, and postfix is so nice, that
I don't need to edit any config files after preseeding it!!! :-D

Tim

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Bernd Felsche
<berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>So all I want basically is cron jobs, and database backups sent to my
>>email. But, I don't want to setup a full MTA (SMTP server) and I don't
>>want to relay through another SMTP server as I have no idea where my
>>clients machines are going to be.
>>So... What's the smallest MTA/SMTP server people know for Ubuntu, and
>>easiest to configure for just basic sending only?
>
> Do you need the SMTP server to cache?
>
> You can write your own easily enough in Python; if you speak Python.
> <http://docs.python.org/library/smtpd.html> It would only be _small_
> if you already have Python installed for another reason.
>
> Postfix is not a big install. Postfix can be set up for simple
> caching and forwarding (relay); listening only on the localhost
> port.  Postfix is lighter than sendmail and a shirtload more secure
> by design.
>
> Obtuse used to offer a simple SMTP forwarding daemon (smtpfwdd) as
> part of the Juniper firewall toolkit. It still appears to be
> available on *BSD distributuions but slipped off the Linux distros
> about 4 to 5 years ago.
> --
> /"\ Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
> \ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | When we remember that we are all mad,
>  X   against HTML mail     | the mysteries disappear and life stands
> / \  and postings          | explained. -- Mark Twain

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia