[plug] Smallest MTA (Sendmail/SMTP) for Ubuntu

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Sun May 3 12:32:00 WST 2009

>> Obtuse used to offer a simple SMTP forwarding daemon (smtpfwdd) as
>> part of the Juniper firewall toolkit. It still appears to be
>> available on *BSD distributuions but slipped off the Linux distros
>> about 4 to 5 years ago.
>
> That would require an upstream smarthost, which the OP already
> established that he didn't want.

I've effectively had to go for a smart host anyway. I was hoping to
just send the cron emails and stuff to my gmail account, but due to
blacklists and the like, gmail's smtp servers don't like accepting
mail from any random address (I could authenticate with my gmail
account settings and use gmail as a smarthost, but I didn't want to
have to use an authenticated smarthost). So the solution was to send
the emails to another of my email address that doesn't mind which
random server was sending it email. My old solution would have been
the mail server I used to run at home, but as that server is currently
in parts pending a rebuild (damaged hardware), I've had to use one of
my web hosts servers.

Tim
p.s. I'd love to just email over the VPN, but of course I don't want
emails failing if the VPN dies for some random reason.
--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia