[plug] Smallest MTA (Sendmail/SMTP) for Ubuntu

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Sun May 3 22:05:02 WST 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Bernd Felsche
<berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>p.s. I'd love to just email over the VPN, but of course I don't want
>>emails failing if the VPN dies for some random reason.
>
> Get postfix to store the emails until the VPN comes up (part of
> the "up" script for each connection); to trickle out any that are
> queued by only allowing one delivery daemon (maxproc in master.cf
> after defining a delivery transport).

The issue was more if the VPN went down for some reason, I'd have no
emails coming from cron that might give me a hint as to the issue. It
can be hard enough getting these machines to stay connected to the
net, so one less thing that can go wrong between me and the cron
emails is desirable.

Saying that, anyone know an easy way to have postfix use a smarthost
and if the smarthost fails then to deliver mail itself? (I.e. it's
configured as an internet site with smarthost, but falls back to just
plain internet site when the smarthost is down)?? Or is that wishing
too much?

Thanks

Tim
--