[plug] Bigpond Wireless - Linux

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Wed May 13 20:09:27 WST 2009

Hi All,

I've been sitting back  quietly lurking on this list for most of the
past year.  I use linux for most things (computer related;-) and
generally manage to sort out issues on my own, but...

I'm trying to help a friend (in the process of moving from Vista to
Linux Mint 6 - Yay!!!)  but have hit a snag...  He uses  a Bigpond
Wireless 3G modem (BP3-EXT) and I am not having much luck getting it to
work.

So far, I have tried the built in (Automatic) dialer that comes with
Mint 6 and Mint 7 RC1.  I have also tried it on a Ubuntu 9.04 machine
and most recenlty on a fresh install of Debian 5 (this almost works!).
In the last case, I used software downloaded from here:
https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12&release_id=244  in the form
of vodafone-mobile-connect_2.00.00-1_all.deb
<https://forge.betavine.net/frs/download.php/457/vodafone-mobile-connect_2.00.00-1_all.deb>

The interface works and it finds the modem ok.....  but it just won't
connect.  I have checked and re-checked login details (works on M$ Vista
and on the Bigpond Website) but not with linux....  I have tried various
thing in the Access Point setting:  "telstra.bigpond"
"telstra.internet"  "telstra.wap" etc.....    not sure what to use for this.

Anyone on the list tried this (or similar) and if  so did it work?

I have been trying (on and off) for a week now.....

HELP!   (please)

Regards,
Peter