[plug] Kubuntu Koala

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Thu Nov 5 18:12:33 WST 2009

Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 16:07 +0800, Peter wrote:
>
>> Richard Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've just installed Kubuntu Koala and I'm wanting to install VMWare - it
>>> seems to do this I have to install a package called vmware-package which
>>> repacks the VMWare stuff into Debian packages.
>>>
>>> When I try to do this it wants "libstdc++5" which it says it can't
>>> install - a quick search shows "libstdc++6" available but not 5 ....
>>>
>>> Any ideas? I'm really new at the Debianista type distros so any help
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Do you have a specific need for VMware (ie, existing Virtual Machines
>> you want to run)?  Or do you just want to create/run virtual machines
>> from scratch?
>>
>> If the latter applies, I can highly recommend Virtualbox.
>> (http://www.virtualbox.org/).  I have found virtualbox easier to install
>> and to work with when compared to vmware.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>>

> Well Peter, the answer to that is yes (and no) - (and "it depends")
>
> To explain - I've been a SUSE fan since version 5.x, but SUSE these days
> is bugging me - I am still running on 10.3 but I have installed the 11.x
> and the release candidates of 11.3 and I don't like them.
>
> At present I am running 2 W2K VMs under VMWare Server so that I can
> connect to my mainframe machines in Sydney and Houston. I have to have
> Win to run the stupid VPNs that they require.
>
> If I could transform the VM "disks" to some other VM product I might do
> that, but if I had to reinstall, I would not.
>
> Anyway - I would also like suggestions from the Pluggers re a new distro
> - I'm sick of SUSE, but it did stay fairly up to date, especially if you
> enabled the "weird" repositories like Mozilla and OpenOffice.
>
> KDE - friendly, please.

Richard,

There is a detailed explanation of how to convert Vmware to Virtualbox
here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/HowTo/Switching_From_VMWare_To_VirtualBox:_.vmdk_To_.vdi_Using_Qemu_+_VdiTool

This is Ubuntu specific and I haven't done this myself, so can't be sure
it works.

My personal favourite version of Linux is Mint (based on Ubuntu, which
in turn is based on Debian):  I use mint on a number of machines but use
Debian 5 on my web/mail server.   The standard version or Mint is gnome
based but they also have a KDE version available here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_ce.php

Linux Mint comes with Virtualbox ready to go...   Just select is from
the "featured apllications" list in the mintinstall application (after
installing mint).

I have W2k working in a Virtualbox..... it works well.

My desktop pc is capable of running  Win98, W2k, XP home, XPpro,  Vista,
Windows 7, Debian 5 and Puppy Linux (and probably more)--- All at the
same time!  ....  I don't actually use W2K much, but its's there if I
need it.

I  currently run Virtualbox (and all of the above) on top of Linux Mint
7.    Mint 8 is due out at the end of the month.

I'll stop rambling now......

Cheers,
Peter