[plug] Nokia N900 internet tablet (with phone!)

Matt Austin mail at mattaustin.me.uk
Thu Nov 26 19:53:14 WST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 17:26, Michael Holland
<michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nokia has released their first Linux phone, the N900, to unexpected
> enthusiasm.
> This is still something of a phone for geeks, but is planned to largely
> replace the ageing Symbian platform within a few years.
> It runs Maemo version 5, codenamed "Fremantle" after the Fremantle Doctor.
> That's nice of Nokia, but it would be a lot nicer if they had plans to
> actually sell it in Fremantle.
>
> The thread on whirlpool is running hot, with a lot of people trying to
> pre-order form the US or UK.
> Reviews are great, but there are plenty of bug reports, including random
> reboots.
> Someone said its the perfect phone for Grandma, so long as she doesn't mind
> dropping into xterm occasionally to fix a problem.
>
> Has anyone here ordered one? Tempted?

I've ordered one from Amazon UK - am getting someone to forward it on
to me in Australia.

It's the first (and probably the last) time I have pre-ordered a
phone, and I'm tearing my hair out with anticipation - it's driving me
insane :D.

Just hope I'm not affected by any of the unfortunate bugs a few people
have reported - will be a pain to send it back to the UK for Nokia to
honour the warranty.

Matt