[plug] (re)introduce myself

Scott Middleton scott at assuretek.com.au
Mon Oct 5 17:55:39 WST 2009

Hi Pluggers

I have not been very active with PLUG over the last couple of years
but I feel now is the time to change that.
Many people may remember me from LinuxIT (www.linuxit.com.au) but
LinuxIT is mainly a shop now (https://shop.linuxit.com.au)

I am an independent hourly based I.T. contractor and about 30%-40% of
my work is Linux based. The rest is Windows (Desktops,Servers
(exchange) and several Terminal Servers), NAS and commercial routers.
I work mainly in Perth, although I have a couple of clients in Darwin
and fly up there once a year for upgrades. I don't have a regular
client without some form of Linux in their office and often several.

Recently my LinuxIT shop has been slammed on Whingepool
(http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1269851). Where an
accusation was levelled against us saying that we (at the time I had a
partner - a fellow PLUG member in good standing) had put copy
protection on the CDs we sell. Obviously this guy has no proof and is
in-fact a disgruntled ex customer that holds a grudge over half a
decade long. But I believe in Open-Source and all it stands for both
politically and socially as did my ex-partner even more so.

To me this heinous and so not what I believe. I can't speak for my
ex-partner but I am sure he would be shocked and saddened at this
accusation. So I invite people to comment (either positively or not)
to say their piece and get it out. If you have proof show it! Now is
the time to show your discontent. Preferably I would like nice things
said but people being people I have to accept the inevitable.

I wouldn't even be doing this if a routine Google search didn't show
it. But the medium is so seemingly permanent now.

The Linux shop was never intended to be a massively profitable
endeavour it was meant to supply Linux to people in a sustainable way.
Don't get me wrong if I sold 10 or more distros a day I would be
happy. Even before LinuxIT when Chris @ LinuxWA started it for people
on dial-up it was never considered to be a main profit maker. It was
done (and always has been and always will be) for the Love of Linux.

Your Sincerely

--
Scott Middleton
Managing Director - Linux Consultants Pty Ltd t/as AssureTek
Email - Scott at assuretek.com.au
Phone - 1300 551 696
Mobile - 0400 212 724