[plug] Iptables and RADIUS Accounting

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:22:41 WST 2009

I've been using CoovaChilli to build a hotspot solution. But it's not
ideal for another situation I have.
Basically I want to do traffic accounting. What I as thinking though,
was it could be really easy to use iptables and radius to replace the
the coova chilli part of my existing project so most of the work can
move into this new project. It seems like it should be really simple
to have some sort of application that adds a rule for each ipaddress
(or mac address maybe, not sure with iptables) and counts data. Then
have another process that every few minutes reads the byte counter for
each rule, send a radius accounting packet to the radius server, and
zero the rules. In terms of the session handling, I was thinking that
something that watches the DHCP leases file for example, (or just have
the DHCP server call a process for each lease and expiry) to start
each radius session and add the iptables rules and remove the later.

Does anyone know of existing solutions that follow that kind of path.

Or any other suggestions for traffic accounting into some sort of
database (split up in particular by user based on ipaddress as I'm not
concerned with authentication in this situation as I can rely on ip
address or mac address)

Thanks

Tim
p.s. Squid accounting isn't enough, it needs to be for all traffic.

--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia