[plug] to LVM2 or not to LVM2...

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 22:37:58 WST 2009

2009/10/9 Denis Brown <dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au>:
> Default install uses LVM2 for the system disk.    For the data array
> however, which is a separate RAID5 array, I have a choice including whether
> to use LVM2 or not.

Similar to Daniel's point, I'd say go for it. Performance doesn't seem
to take a noticeable hit, vgscan and lvscan will recover the metadata
(useful when live-cd booting too), and other useful tools like
snapshots are available. One problem we had: An older version of LVM
(not sure if it was 1 or 2) failed to delete snapshots until a reboot
- terrible for our production server. This is exacerbated by our
running an 'enterprise class' OS (SLES9) which means we either have to
break with their standard repositories or suck it up. So far we're
just avoiding using snapshots on that machine. We'll be upgrading the
OS soon, honest...

Greg.

--
Gregory Orange