[plug] WD drives coming formatted as NTFS?

Ari sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:11:51 WST 2009

Hi all,

Is Western Digital formatting their drives NTFS now? I bought a couple
808GB drives on Friday and when I put them into my fedora file server
and went to fdisk them I found they were partitioned for NTFS already.
Out of curiousity I mounted one drive and found it even had a System
Volume Information directory on it. Is this normal? I've never put a
brand new drive in a linux system and have it pre-partitioned as NTFS.
Given that when I looked closely at the plastic clamshells they were
Samsung shells I'm getting concerned that the drives the shop sold me
are not actually brand new drives... Is this the way WD ship new drives now?

TIA,

Ari