[plug] Digital TV channel info

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 26 19:40:09 WST 2009

Steve Baker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry about the not-directly-linux-related off-topic request...
>
> I have a Pinnacle DVB-T capture device, but when I scan for channels
> it finds only the SBS channels.  A quick google tells me that ABC,
> Seven, Nine and Ten broadcast between 177.5MHz and 226.5MHz, whereas
> SBS is way up at 536.5 MHz.  I suspect that the channel scan is
> starting too high.  Of course, since I don't have a proper aerial
> (just an indoor antenna) this could also be contributing to not
> finding any other channels.
>
> There is a way to enter channel information manually, however I don't
> have all the data.  I was hoping that somebody with a DVB-T card of
> some sort might be able to find the relevant information and send it
> to me.  If I can enter the data manually maybe I can still watch the
> relevant channel, even though the scan fails.
>
> The data requested for each channel is:
> - Frequency
> - Service ID
> - Original Network ID
> - Transport Stream ID
> - PMT PID
> - PCR PID
>
> I've seen postings here from people with DVB-T cards trying to set
> them up in Myth or similar, was hoping I could get some info from
> those people.  Does anyone have this data handy?
>
> Regards,
> Steve

I have the same problem with a now-defunct Pinnacle TV capture card. As
of earlier this year, all digital channels were upped to around the
800Mhz-plus region. From what I've been told, any tv's more than a
couple of years old at most will be unable to tune as high as these
channels are being broadcast. My capture card can only get SBS, and
that's only because SBS is the lowest frequency station and *just* sits
in the upper ranges of older cards.

Jason