[plug] consolidated supply

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Oct 29 17:41:55 WST 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, David Dartnall wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:35:33 +0800
> From: David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au>
> To: "plug [off-topic]" <plug at plug.org.au>
> Subject: [plug] consolidated supply
>
> Maybe someone can help please.
>
> The following is an email I sent to Amnet, my current adsl2+ supplier, and
> their reply.
> Does anyone have any suggestions / hints to help in the very confusing (to
> me) process
> of getting organised in this regard. It's hard to assess the merits of the
> multitude of
> offerings!
>
> I have had a conversation with a gentleman from iinet, and he has emailed a
> fairly
> comprehensive summary of their range, but I still find it hard to assess.
> I'm not too sure about their BOB proposal - seems to be too high initial
> outlay and
> the lack of a phone in the case of a power outage bothers me.
>
> ***************
> Amnet email:
>
> I'm one of your customers.
> You provide our adsl2+ service on a bi-yearly pre-paid basis - 2G + 2G.
> Our local telephone service is provided by Telstra, paid on monthly invoice.
> Optus provides our international landline telephone service, no contract,
> paid on monthly invoice.
> My mobile phone service is also Optus, no contract, paid on monthly invoice.
> And I'm sick of this shemozzle, it's costing too much - we need to
> consolidate with one supplier.
> We do not accept direct debit arrangements.
> Please email your proposition(s) / options in the event that you can offer a
> suitable service.
>
> ***************
> Amnet reply:
>
> Hi Dave, unfortunately we only supply ADSL services on top of already active
> phone services.
> We are unable to offer a substitute that you require.
>
> ***************
> regards to all, (looking forward to karmic soon).
> Dave Dartnall

I switched everything to Optus, some time ago.

We get free calls between our two mobile phones, with duration of up to
five minutes per call, and free calls from our mobile phones to a single
landline number, of up to five minutes per call, for which I selected
our primary landline number.

The accounts involve discounting, for having all of mobile phones and
landlines and ADSL with Optus.

The primary landline is on an Optus Home Classic plan, at 31.98 per
month plus GST (about $35 per month total) and the ADSL2 is "MyHome
Freedom" at $54.54 per month plus GST (about $60 per month total).

The second landline is on an Optus Home Lite plan, at 18.13 plus GST per
month, about $20 per month total. Monthly access is cheaper, but call
rates would be higher (we do not use it for phone calls, as a rule).

You would need to phone Optus, and speak to a sales rep, to sort out
the details. Phone number (from bill) to phone, for bundling, is 1800
700 293.

They do not deal with email (lousy, for a company of their nature).

A problem with Optus, is that Optus insists on billing mobile phones
seprately to landline/ADSL billing.

The bills are monthly, and, for two mobile phones, two landlines, and
ADSL2, I receive two bills each month; one for the landlines/ADSL, and
one for the mobile phones

Due to the insistence of Optus in having two separate accounts, I have
managed to reduce the monthly billing fee to a single fee (each account
has an account keeping fee, as I insist on printed, paper, bills).
Accounts can be sent via email (no fee, I think), or printed, via postal
mail (a fee is charged, but, it usually gets through, even when the
Internet breaks down).

One problem with Optus, is that they have a (expletive deleted) bad web
site, that simply does not work with iceape (Debian version of
seamonkey). Also lousy, for a company of their nature. A well designed
web site should be universally accessible, to all web browsers, and
should use exclusively server side processing, so that the most basic
web browsers still work fully with a web site.

Given that Optus is a telecommunications company, and, an ISP,  it has
shortcomings, but, for telephone and Internet access, it appears to be
the best (of a bad bunch - in Australia, telecommunications companies
have bad reputations, overall) for us, for what we have.

I hope that this is helpful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale