[plug] OT: Pool of IPs for testing load-balanced connections

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Thu Sep 3 11:01:51 WST 2009

G'day PLUGers,

I've just about finished the new design for the networking of the
various mobile comms facilities at work. Each comms unit should have an
Internet connection, either via NextG or a satellite uplink.

The new network design will allow any combination of comms facilities
and up-links to join the Local Inter-Network Connection (LINC) and share
their routing information.

Once the facilities are networked, the device with the highest priority
will be elected the default gateway for all other devices. Additionally,
each facility, with its own Internet connection, will load-balance
between its connection and the elected gateway.

The (minor) issue I'm facing is that for the load balancing to work, the
router (embedded system running pfSense) needs to be able to ping a
(unique) target out on the Internet. What I need is a pool of very
stable IPs to test against, say around two dozen.

The targets must be IPs, rather than host-names, as until a ping is
successful there is no Internet connection and therefore no DNS.

Any suggestions?

Adrian