[plug] OT: Pool of IPs for testing load-balanced connections

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Thu Sep 3 11:47:18 WST 2009

Having worked at an ISP, I know allow about "High Availability" and the
likelihood of any given IP being actually available, especially when
accessed off-net. :P

The way the load-balancing works, it sets a static route for the target
IP via the gateway being tested. Traffic for this test IP will always be
directed out that gateway, even when other connections are available or
the gateway being tested is down. This means that a common/important IP
can't be used (ie google.com's A record).

Because each router connected to the LINC will be doing its own load
balancing, with its own static routes for the test IPs, each router will
need a unique IP to test against.

For example, there are two routers, A and B. Both use 203.0.178.191 to
test for internet connectivity via the LINC. If router A is elected the
default gateway for the LINC, it will still route all connections for
203.0.178.191 back out via the LINC (static route). Test pings from
router B will hit router A and loop until the TTL is hit. In this
scenario, router B will never decide that the LINC gateway is available.

If routers A and B have unique test IPs for testing for Internet
connectivity via the LINC, the test ping will hit the opposing router
and be direct out its current gateway, thereby establishing the validity
of the connection.

Adrian