[plug] Re: [plug-announce] *** PLUG September Seminar - The Murchison Widefield Array radio telescope ***

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at exadios.com
Thu Sep 3 21:38:08 WST 2009

Hi;

300kHz is low frequency in the context of the radio spectrum. But, I
image, 300kHz would be outside of the astronomy band simply because the
energies would be too low. I think the band of interest for astronomers
is from 30mHz up to Gamma Ray frequencies.

(BTW: I am not an astronomer.)

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Kai wrote:

> Patrick Coleman wrote:
>
> >--snip--<
> > The Murchison Widefield Array (MWA) is a low frequency (80-300MHz)
>  >--snip--<
>
> This sounds pretty cool, is it going to be available on the net 'cause I
> sure as hell can't make it :P
>
> BTW: Apologies if this is a bit pedantic, but, can someone please
> clarify for me how 80MHz -> 300MHz = "low frequency"? maybe I missed the
> boat or I'm misunderstanding something but low frequency = 300kHz ->
> 30kHz...

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw: http://www.exadios.com (public keys avaliable there).