[plug] mail bouncing back

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Sep 8 13:51:04 WST 2009

"Jon L. Miller" <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> writes:

> I've obvious set something wrong, but I have a user that whenever I send
> mail to her I get the following message.
>
> <username>: mail for 192.168.5.254 loops back to myself
>
> I'm using postfix

The MTA thinks that the user address is not local, but needs to be forwarded
on.  This is probably something like a messed up local user map, transport
table, or aliases file.

Anyway, it resolves the destination to be the IP address given, then looks for
the MTA that handles that and finds ... itself.

At which point it gives up: it doesn't think this is a local address, but it
is where the message lands.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.