[plug] mime settings in postfix

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Sep 11 16:21:48 WST 2009

"Jon L. Miller" <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> writes:

> Does anyone know how to check postfix to verify if mime is being used vs
> rfc822.

...that question doesn't entirely make sense to me.  Do you mean MIME content
in the mail body as opposed to not using MIME content?  Most email has MIME
headers, even if there isn't an attachment, to convey encoding information.

> Seems whenever an e-mail hits a ms exchange server or outlook client the
> mail is malformed. Especially if there is an attachment.

Well, this email has MIME structure, but...

[...]

...two different sets of structure, one for a plain email with only a single
bit of content, another than contains multiple related (probably HTML and
plain text) parts.

Anyway, Postfix doesn't have anything to do with the MIME encoding as a
general rule[1], but rather your MUA — or, in this case, Groupwise and/or
Exchange.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...it might end up doing an 8-bit to base64/Q-P Content-Transfer-Encoding
     in some cases, but it won't deeply alter the MIME structure beyond that.

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.