[plug] RoundCube question

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 05:50:43 WST 2010

On 08/02/10 23:05, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Chris Griffin<griffinster at gmail.com>  writes:
>

>> as a result of a recent post I decided to check out RoundCube Webmail. I
>> seem to have it "mostly" working but when I am testing via the installer,
>> the imap test fails.  Checking the maillog shows:
>>
>> Aug  2 20:37:14 localhost dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<cgriffin>, method=PLAIN, rip
>> =::1, lip=::1, secured
>> Aug  2 20:37:15 localhost dovecot: IMAP(cgriffin): mail_location not set and
>> autodetection failed: Mail storage autodetection failed with home=/home/cgriffin
>> Aug  2 20:37:15 localhost dovecot: IMAP(cgriffin): Fatal: Namespace initialization
>> failed
>>
>> Can someone please advise me as to what is wrong?
>>
> dovecot can't work out where your email should be stored, or what format it is
> stored in, and you didn't tell it, but left it to guess.
>
> Fix that, in dovecot, and your problem will be resolved.

It's recommended that you turn off the auto detection  in dovecot. You
do this by setting the mail_location stuff. (i.e. mbox in /var/mail/ or
Maildir in /home/user/Maildir, etc etc). If you leave auto detection on,
and a user has no mail or mail in a nonstandard location, then it will
fail until they have some mail.
You may also want to look at using dovecot for the delivery agent too,
this way you don't have to worry about exim/postfix/sendmail putting the
mail in the correct location, and you can use Sieve filtering (which
roundcube is supposed to have an editor for).

Tim