[plug] Syncing live Data

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:50:28 WST 2010

2 Way sync is always hard.
What if data is changed at both sites while waiting for the sync? If
it's a one way sync, then rsync is your friend.
If it's 2 way, then something like unison or a dropbox like product
makes sense. Sparkleshare is one example of a dropbox like product
that you can run you own server for, and it works well for things like
source code.

Any more details on the sync? 1 one. 2 way. Is it possible that a 2
way can be turned into a 1 way? (Read only on one site?) What types of
files. And what are the chances of a file being modified on both sides
at the same time? Maybe a 2 way with priority (then it can become 2
rsyncs, with one side's changes always overwriting the other if it's
changed on both sides).

Tim

On 2 December 2010 23:01, Mitch Kelly <mitch at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We are planning to setup 2 sites over wireless links however need to make
> sure the data is replicated to each site every 5 or so minutes, Would there
> be a way to sync this data that fast? Perhaps some sort of file alteration
> monitor?
>

> At the office we have a linux server (ubuntu server) and at the remote ends
> Windows 2008 Server boxes, Mounting the drives as SMB shares is the easy
> part.
>

> Any ideas on a solution?
>

> Mitch

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia