[plug] Syncing live Data

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Dec 3 21:26:18 WST 2010

"Mitch Kelly" <mitch at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> writes:

> Theres no way we are synching 3TB worth of data to Dropbox.... And then
> downloading it again off an ADSL.

Fair enough.  If you had told us the volume ahead of time I would have been
less likely to suggest that solution.

> Why would a Linux box at the far end help? We can just as easily mount the
> share on the linux box end using NFS,SMB.

[...]

In my last email I wrote this:

>> Anyway, Mitch, if you can deploy a Linux system at both ends you could
>> investigate using glusterfs or xtreemfs to share data between them, and
>> then CIFS-exporting that to the Win32 systems on the network.

I don't quite know how else to put it, but let me try:

What you really want is a clustered file system, not a replication solution,
unless you make one side read-only, or you have a "rich client" solution like
Dropbox provide that will deal with conflicts for you.

Given that I am not aware of any cluster file systems that will work across
both Windows and Linux systems (and given this is a Linux list) I suggested
some solutions that would work between a pair of Linux servers.

I would suggest that, if it was possible to deploy Linux servers at both ends,
you investigate those.

Regards,
        Daniel