[plug] Syncing live Data

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Dec 4 08:36:52 WST 2010

Patrick Coleman <blinken at gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>>
>> Given that I am not aware of any cluster file systems that will work across
>> both Windows and Linux systems (and given this is a Linux list) I suggested
>> some solutions that would work between a pair of Linux servers.
>
> I would look seriously at Windows DFS. But, this is a Linux list.
> Google is your friend.

I don't believe it would fix the OPs problem anyhow: unless Samba 4 will
participate in a DFS replication agreement, that will give a unified namespace
but not replication, which the OP stated was a requirement.

You *really* don't want to do CIFS over a WAN link - the protocol is hugely
latency sensitive, and some of the common client tools *cough* office *cough*
make literally thousands of random, single-byte synchronous requests while
they open a document.  Non-replicated DFS would make some files super-painful
for the clients to open.

        Daniel