[plug] Syncing live Data

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 17:27:03 WST 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> Patrick Coleman <blinken at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> I would look seriously at Windows DFS. But, this is a Linux list.
>> Google is your friend.
>
> I don't believe it would fix the OPs problem anyhow: unless Samba 4 will
> participate in a DFS replication agreement, that will give a unified namespace
> but not replication, which the OP stated was a requirement.

Only suggested it really because we use it extensively at work (not
because I know anything about it :).

We have a bucketload of remote sites, with connection speeds and
latency varying from dialup to 512/128k ADSL to 3Mb/s BDSL to two-way
satellite. I believe we have DFS configured such that the Windows
server at each site will trickle changes back to HQ using spare
bandwidth, and vice-versa. It's not the most elegant solution, and
requires that you're careful to limit what gets replicated around to
stay within the bandwidth limit, but it works for us.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting