[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook (fwd)

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Mon Feb 1 12:39:40 WST 2010

Bret Busby wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, David Buddrige wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:06:49 +0800
>> From: David Buddrige <dbuddrige at bigpond.com>
>> To: plug at plug.org.au
>> Subject: Re: [plug] trying to buy a linux netbook
>>
>> thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.  I picked up an eepc
>> 1000HE this
>> morning from PLE.  Came with XP, but I also picked up an external dvd
>> reader/writer
>> so I can load up ubuntu.  It's a bit annoying, but such is life I
>> guess.  The
>> computer itself is a beaut. Lovely, and light and handy.  Thanks
>> again everyone.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> David. 8-)
>>

> If you had waited a little bit, whilst it does not meet all of your
> specs;
>
> go to http://www.coles.com.au/Default.aspx and scroll across to:
>
> "Acer eM250 eMachines Netbook $389 at Coles";
>
> http://catalogues.coles.com.au/portal/offerdetails/acer-em250-emachines-netbook/12645461225072?CatalogueID=12640265798067&tab=list&N=4294924703+501&Ns=OfferOnPage%7C0&source=productlist
>

> "Acer eM250 eMachines Netbook
> $389.00
> Starts 28 January - Ends 03 February
> 10.1" LED screen. Wireless connections. Integrated webcam. Multi-in-1
> card reader. Weight 1.1kg. Microsoft Windows XP. 160GB hard drive disc
> 1GB RAM. Intel Atom Processor 1.6GHz. 1 year warranty."
>
>> From
> http://www.liliputing.com/2010/01/closer-look-at-the-emachines-em250-netbook.html
> ;
>
> "if youre looking for a more detailed overview, YouTube member a1mega
> has posted an 8 minute video showing the netbook running Windows 7
> Starter Edition as well as Jolicloud, a custom Linux distribution
> designed for netbooks.
>
> The laptop has a 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB of RAM, a 250GB hard
> drive, and a 3 cell battery which should be good for 3-4 hours of run
> time. The keyboard looks decent, although the touchpad looks pretty
> small to me."
>
> So, it appears to be compatible with linux.
>
> In going to amazon.com, the netbook, with a 250GB HDD can be delivered
> to WA, for total cost of about $378.
>
> For a longer batter life, a model is available with an 6-cell battery,
> for up to 8 hours battery life, for 50USD (about 55AUD) more.
>
> :)
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

Don't know about the "Acer eM250 eMachines Netbook ", but from
experience (twice) and from forum discussions I'd leave SSDs a very wide
berth.  Apart from their unreliability they're slow, expensive and use
absolutely no less power.  The Linux based machines tend to have SSDs
and less RAM.  The Wintendo based machines tend to have more RAM and
real hard drives - 160gb+.

Check out some of the problems with SSDs here abd other sections of the
same forum.  I'd bet that the Asus forums are much the same wrt SSDs.
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=54

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.